Easy Vegan Banana Bread -- The Backup Plan

Today reminded me why I started this blog.  It was a frustrating day trying to prepare and get everything we needed to host our Christmas meals.  After my son's recent reaction to soy we are now having to go soy-free as well. For my baking this meant getting the Soy-Free Earth Balance 'butter' sticks, so I headed to WholeFoods. I was attempting a dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and gluten-free pound cake for Christmas Eve to accommodate all of the allergies.  The recipe came from a blog I like and even included a video tutorial so I thought it was a sure thing.  After navigating the busy stores and checking all my labels and getting rear ended with my baby in the car we where home safe and ready to do some baking.  I had some over ripe bananas so I figured I'd whip up a quick banana bread while I had all the baking stuff out.  I got that in the oven snd then started on the pound cake.  The pound cake was going well and easy to make.  I baked it and it rose nicely and browned.  I set it aside to cool and when I came back it had fallen:( Pound cake fail. 

However, the banana bread was delicious and was already being devoured by the family while it was still hot. Today reminded me why I decided to share my successes (and failures) so that others can benefit from these lessons learned.  It can certainly be a frustrating process and a lot of trial and error but cuddling on the couch, looking at our Christmas tree, and eating some nice warm banana bread (like my mom used to make) with my little allergy boy makes it all worth it! :)

Easy Vegan Banana Bread

1 TBLSP flax meal
3 TBLSP warm water
3 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (you can also use Earth Balance or another butter substitute)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven 325 degrees.

In a small bowl mix the flax meal and water and allow to set until it becomes a paste consistency (usuaaly 5-10 minutes).

In a large mixing bowl mash the bananas. Add the coconut oil, sugar, and flax paste and mix.  In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.  Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients all at once and mix until combined.  Pour into a greased (with coconut oil) and floured loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.  Insert a tooth pick make sure it is done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Libations: Zymurgorium Sweet Violet Gin

Around the world in 6 gins: a gin-tasting adventure