Crazy Cake

I have done A LOT of experimenting with allergy-friendly cake recipes and have settled on Crazy Cakes as our standard crowd pleasing indulgence for special celebrations that most closely emulates the typical cake everyone is accustom to. You can see a few recipes and read more about them at this link(http://www.sweetlittlebluebird.com/2013/03/tried-true-tuesday-crazy-cake-no-eggs.html?m=1) but it stemmed from the resourceful baking without scarce dairy products during the depression. For additional convenience, the cakes can be mixed up directly in the pan you want to cook them in without an electric mixer and come out tasting like a good regular cake that even my toughest critics can't tell are vegan. We do have to substitute apple cider vinegar for the white vinegar to make them corn-free but I'll leave that rant for another post about how corn is in EVERYTHING and I have been whisked back to square one defining our safes!! <end rant> On a separate occasion I substituted the gluten-free flour and also had favorable results.


For our recent Thomas Party my son requested a pumpkin flavored cake so I made the spice cake and substituted pumpkin for the oil and it came out really well.  So well in fact that my other son whose birthday is this week asked me to make it for his cake too! 

The frosting was a bit tricky as the birthday boy has to be completely corn-free and powdered sugar has corn in it too (see rant above) so I made our own.. I used the nutribullet to grind up 3 cups of organic cane sugar and added to it 3 tablespoons of tapioca starch. This part was pretty messy! It has a little different taste than what you buy in the store but it was okay and like most of the other things with their allergies I think we just need to get used to it.


I mixed our homemade corn-free powdered sugar with some Soy Free Earth Balance (~4 TBLSP), vanilla (~1 1/2 tsp), and a little coconut milk (~1 TBLSP or until desired consistency) to make the frosting.

The frosting might be a little temperamental but the cake is pretty much a sure thing so I'll take it! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Libations: Zymurgorium Sweet Violet Gin

Easy Vegan Banana Bread -- The Backup Plan

Around the world in 6 gins: a gin-tasting adventure