Sugar Cut-Out Cookies

I have always loved making cut-out cookies for different occasions with my Mom.  I wanted my little baker to have the same memories.  We have made these a few times now in a couple of different ways. The most recent is definitely my favorite but does retain a coconut flavor.  The dough was a little hard to work with and refrigerating like with normal butter did not work well.  It is manageable with adult help.  They came out very nice and light and crisp.  My parents who don't enjoy some of my dairy substitutes even ate them!  You'll be able to pass them off to unknowing friends and family with ease.

This recipe has been adapted from one a nutritionist gave me when my son was first diagnosed from an allergy cookbook.


Ingredients
2 1/3 cup flour (original recipe called for barley flour which came out well  - this time I didn't have that on hand and instead used white whole wheat flour)
1 cup butter substitute (I've made them with Earth Balance Vegan sticks or this most recent time with coconut oil which worked great if you don't mind the coconut flavor)
1 cup confectionary sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375.

With a mixer cream the coconut oil (or other butter substitute) as you would butter.  Add in the sugar and mix well. Add in the vanilla.  Then slowly add the flour.  A stand mixer works best as it takes some time and force to get the dough to form a ball.

Divide the ball in half and on a very heavily floured surface roll out the dough with a heavily floured rolling pin. With cookie cutters cut out your favorite shapes.  Remove scraps, form into a ball, and roll again. Try to handle the dough and roll it as few times as possible to avoid sticking. Place cut-out cookies on a cookies sheet and decorate.

Bake in oven for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.  Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the world in 6 gins: a gin-tasting adventure

Happy and Safe Holidays